BusPirate-v3-FTDI-0.2 Photos

Here’s the front of the board, courtesy of the DorkbotPDX PCB service.  Nice purple solder mask!  Note a few issues with tenting the vias, and the silkscreen being too close.  Also, VR4 is awfully close both to VR3 and the PIC, so I’m going to try and give it a bit more clearance.  Note also the incorrect version number.  This board is for version 0.2, not 0.1, as it says.  Finally, though the I/O headers are fine for normal double-row, I was hoping to use a shrouded header, but since I forgot to allow for it, there was way too much overlap with the CD4066 and the LED.

On the back, I screwed up the placement of the labels.  These were supposed to help with the ICSP header, but are totally in the wrong place.  Plenty of things to fix for version 0.3.

Here it is, all populated.  It’s quite crowded, but with some careful planning for doing things in the right order, it was not difficult at all.  Thank goodness for solder wick.  I found SparkFun’s SMD soldering tutorials very helpful.  It looks like there’s kind of a claw sticking up out of the leftmost LED, which needs to be fixed.

Here’s the back, populated.  Not much to say about it, but I thought I’d include it for completeness.  Having the proper LED labels on both sides sure would be nice.

Here’s the front from another angle.  If you look carefully at R14 (right in the center, to the right of the big yellow-ish 10uF tantalum cap), you can see that it’s standing off a bit from the board on one side, and there’s no connection.  This caused the self-test for Vpu to fail, which is how I found it.  Thank goodness for self tests!  Once I fixed it, the test passed with flying colors.

Here it is in its intended enclosure.  I need to cut some holes for the LEDs and headers, and tape it into place.

Here’s a view of my hacked-together ICSP programming adapter.  I won the ICD3 in the first round of the Make It Last contest, but the only cable it came with required the 6-pin RJ11 adapter, not the more common 5-pin ICSP header.  So, I cut the 6-wire cable, soldered on a header, and used my extension cable to hook it up to the target board, which worked like a charm.  This was actually my first PIC programming project (apart from some demo board stuff) and I found it far easier than I expected.

Here it is powered by the FTDI cable.  After programming the bootloader, I was able to update the firmware using the normal updater, and everything seems to be working perfectly.  Woo!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Bus Pirate v3b FTDI, Photo Gallery, Projects. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s